Artemi Panarin is back with the Rangers after a couple of weeks away from the team.
After a couple of losses, they need him back and at his best if they want to make a push for the playoffs in the second half of the season. Goaltending is another question mark for a Blueshirts squad that is riding a rollercoaster first half that has them seven points out of a playoffs spot.
Also, the Rangers sadly lost one of their former players and a key member of the 1980 U.S. Gold Medal-winning Olympic hockey team in Mark Pavelich, who passed away last Thursday. We commemorate Pavelich on the latest episode of the “Up In The Blue Seats” podcast with Mollie Walker and his ex-teammate Ron Duguay. Pavelich’s teammates Tom Laidlaw and Rob McClanahan also join to remember the Rangers center from 1981-1986.
Up In The Blue Seats Opening Segment with Ron, Mollie & Jake:
- Happy 24th Birthday Mollie Walker! Mollie thanks me and Ron for sending her flowers and chocolates to her house for the big day on Wednesday.
- Panarin is back with the team. He won’t play Thursday. Why is he not playing right off the bat? Mollie says people need to give him a break and let him get his mind back into hockey mode.
- Mollie explains her love for the “Miracle” movie and talking with Rob McClanahan about it later in the show. She talks about her mom Wendy falling off her chair at school when she saw the picture of flowers addressed to Mollie “from Ron Duguay” at their house. Wendy loves Ron and we found out their birthdays are just a few days apart in July.
Larry Brooks Interview:
NY Post Rangers beat writer
- Are you concerned with Igor Shesterkin and his injuries? Concerns with Alexandar Georgiev and his struggles in goal?
- Rangers signing Mason Geertsen. Does this team need to bolster their roster with more physical players?
- Brett Howden not playing well. What should the Rangers do with him?
- Memories covering and watching Pavelich in the 80’s.
Tom Laidlaw Interview:
Former Rangers defenseman (1980-1987)
- His new lifestyle and going from getting home at 3:30am to waking up then.
- Concussions during his NHL career and players playing without a helmet.
- Memories playing alongside Pavelich with the Rangers and stories of him as a teammate and person.
- His time as an agent for NHL players.
- His time on the show “Survivor” and how they used the bathroom.
Rob McClanahan Interview:
Former Rangers winger (1981-1983), 1980 U.S. Hockey Gold Medalist
- Playing with Pavelich on the Rangers and for the United States in 1980.
- What he’s doing now in the finance world and coaching.
- What was Herb Brooks like as a coach and off the ice?
- How the “Miracle” movie came out and how many times he has seen it.
Catch up on all episodes of “Up In The Blue Seats,” a New York Rangers podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes will be released every Thursday.