MTA worker who stormed Capitol to be cut loose on bail

0
35

[ad_1]

He got a ticket out of the slammer.

The Metro-North worker who called out sick from his job to storm the US Capitol with throngs of President Trump supporters last week was released from custody on $10,000 bond Wednesday.

Will Pepe, 31, of Beacon, will be forced to turn over his shotgun and a hunting knife as part of the bail package — and has to stay away from the nation’s capital while he is out, a federal judge in White Plains ordered.

Pepe — who was captured taking a grinning selfie inside the Capitol last Wednesday — was arrested Tuesday and hit with several charges, including remaining in a restricted government building and disrupting orderly conduct of government.

He looked decidedly less upbeat this Wednesday. After posting bond, Pepe walked out of the federal courthouse showing no emotion, and avoiding eye contact with photographers and reporters.

MTA worker Will Pepe called in sick to attend the Capitol riot.
MTA worker Will Pepe called in sick to attend the Capitol riot.Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

The case will ultimately be prosecuted by the US Attorney’s Office in Washington, DC.

The MTA commuter railroad worker was suspended from the $73,000 job after The Post first reported his involvement in the riot.

MTA officials said they would seek to fire him from the state agency.

“Participation in the riot which resulted in deadly violence at the Capitol last week was abhorrent to the values of the MTA and New Yorkers, and those who attacked that symbol of American democracy disqualified themselves from working for the People of New York,” MTA spokesman Tim Minton said Tuesday.

[ad_2]

Source link