Merry Metsmas! With Christmas a few days away, special guest Pete Alonso, the face of the Mets, joins us for a 40-minute conversation.
And with the Mets seemingly interested in many free agents, what better time to talk offseason and what moves may come next for Steve Cohen’s team on a brand new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me.
Amazin’ But True Opening Segment with Jake & Figgie:
- Figgie followed through and followed me back on Twitter on the eighth night of Hanukkah as he said he would.
- Reactions to James McCann, Trevor May and what the Mets have done so far this offseason.
- Mets Christmas wish list: George Springer? Trevor Bauer? DJ LeMahieu? Whom should the Mets be targeting and whom do we hope they sign?
Pete Alonso Interview:
Mets first baseman, 2019 MLB Home Run Leader, 2019 NL Rookie of the Year
- How his offseason is going, what he’s working on to get better.
- Dom Smith and loving his teammates.
- Chatting with Steve Cohen on the phone, excited to see what he does. Finds out all his news through MLB app.
- Robinson Cano and the impact he’s had on his career.
- Virtual coaching, how difficult it was in 2020.
- Not having fans was tough. Virtual noise didn’t cut it. Thinks there should be able to be fans at some point in 2021 with vaccine being rolled out.
- Beer of choice, not a beer bong champ, not a fan of White Claws.
- What he and his fiancee Haley are doing with “Homers for Heroes.”
- Speaking up on social injustice in 2020.
- Being there for his teammates, being a leader, although not saying he is.
- Dealing with failures, working with analytics guys to improve at the plate for next year, taking notes, learning from notes.
- The dad bod and why he calls it a “power bod.”
- Being one of best first basemen at making scoops, bailing out bad throws.
- His go-to NY pizza place and the pie I am bringing him in 2021.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. The next episode of the podcast will come whenever big Mets news happens.