LONDON — Thirteen days after he was first hospitalized, Prince Philip was on Monday transferred to a second London hospital, increasing concerns over the health of the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement that doctors would continue to treat him for an infection but would also “undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.”
“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week,” the brief statement said, adding that he had been transferred to St. Bartholomew’s hospital in London.
Prince Philip was originally taken to King Edward VII’s Hospital on Feb. 16 as a precaution after feeling unwell. According to British media reports, he was transferred by ambulance at around 11 a.m. on Monday to St Bartholomew’s, an internationally renowned hospital with special expertise in cardiac care.
In December 2011, Prince Philip received treatment for a blocked coronary artery. At the time, Buckingham Palace said he had successfully undergone a “minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting” after suffering chest pains.
During his recent stay in hospital Prince Philip has been visited by his son Prince Charles, who is heir to the throne.
Prince Philip was vaccinated against Covid-19 in January as was Queen Elizabeth, who is aged 94, and who has urged others to take up offers of the vaccine.