World powers still participating in the Iran nuclear accord appear ready to welcome the US back into the agreement as President-elect Joe Biden prepares to take office, according to a report.
German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas on Monday said the Obama administration-era deal remains the “best instrument” to resolve any disputes about Iran’s nuclear program, Bloomberg News reported.
He said the pact has been in a “downward spiral” since President Trump withdrew from the accord in 2018, worsened by pressure from Washington and Tehran’s continued violations of its terms.
But Maas said a “final window” exists to restore the deal.
He and his counterparts from France, Britain, China, Russia, Iran and the European Union’s foreign affairs chief, issued a statement Monday applauding the “prospect of a US return” and emphasizing “their readiness to take a positive view of this in a joint effort.”
“Now we have to look forward and the next weeks and months will decide whether the deal can be saved,” Maas said.
“But it’s about much more than that,” he continued. “Behind this is the question of whether a long-term solution to the decades-long dispute about Iran’s nuclear program can be found through negotiation.”
Maas also warned Tehran not to take any actions that would imperil Biden’s ability to rejoin the pact.
“To make possible a rapprochement with the U.S. under Biden, there should be no further tactical maneuvers of the kind we’ve seen too many of in the recent past,” he said. “This chance, this last window of opportunity, must not be wasted.”
Jake Sullivan, Biden’s pick for national security adviser, said earlier this month that the incoming administration views the 2015 deal as the best means to keep Iran from developing nuclear weapons.
He said Biden would reenter the agreement to put Iran “back in a box” because Tehran has been enriching more uranium in violation of the pact’s terms.
With Post Wires.